The year 2012 was not kind to me, and I stopped blogging. I did update Facebook occasionally, though. Here are the bits that I’d like to have tucked away in my blog for safekeeping, so I can read them later to find out if I was actually as funny as I think I am.
- At 8pm, our carpenter is on the way to Home Depot to get plywood for our back door so I don’t have to try and sleep here tonight with a big hole in the back of my house (where the glass door used to be before someone tried to break in this morning while kiddo and I were upstairs.) He is making me so grateful for local and independent businesses, I can’t even tell you.
- Carpenter just left, hole in wall turned back into actual wall until new door installed this weekend. And now I think I can sleep tonight. Still glad kid is at grandma’s for a sleepover though. (And yes, I DO get chatty on Facebook when I’m freaked out.)
- Hey bird outside? It’s 3am. Hush up.
- Y’all, seriously, someone is playing a BANJO in their front yard across the street and I think it’s keeping my kid from falling asleep. I KNOW I LIVE IN SOUTH AUSTIN BUT THIS IS RIDICULOUS!
- Problem: Skye complained too many times about being asked to attend family breakfast with visiting relatives at 9:30 a.m. Too early! Universe’s solution: Wake Skye up for the day at 3:30 a.m.
- Hey, you know what’s not made of safety glass? Jars of almond butter.
- Hey, you know what doesn’t work to stop my cough? Tea or throat lozenges. Also, Skittles.
- I’m pretty sure there was not a World Atlas puzzle half under my desk when I stopped working on Wednesday – ?
- Things it never occurred to me I would ever say: I would like to be listening to more good hip-hop.
- Things I need today and will not get: a haircut, a vacation, cupcakes, king-sized sheets that do not have holes in them from my son using them as a ladder for years to get up into our bed.
- I taught my five year old to play solitaire today. He likes to play it TOGETHER. Mom introvert + kid extrovert = that’s us.
- I heard breaking glass outside, so I popped my head out the front door to check it out. A guy had dropped a French Press in the street by accident while getting into his car. Because, you know, that happens?
- Treasure Island on CD as told by Jim Weiss = entertains 5.5 year old + dinner conversation about how drinking rum can kill you = possibly not best parenting choice ever. I NEVER READ IT HOW WAS I TO KNOW?
- Day 1 of first not-family-trip vacation since October 2011. Lisa said I need better vacation goals than sleep and get a haircut so I will try to fit in eating a cupcake in the park per her instructions.
- OH NO favorite cupcake place is closed on Mondays!!!!! I may as well cancel this vacation and go back to work.